Thursday, June 25, 2009

Signs..


This is the second-funniest sign I've seen in Britain so far. The MOST hilarious sign was in London but I couldn't snap a picture of it because I was in the middle of traffic. It was outside the entrance of a cricket stadium and read, "No alcohol or musical instruments permitted."


There are plenty of regular signs in Britain and most of them begin with the word "Private." They say "Private Road," "Private Driveway" or "Private Lake." Luckily there are also lots of other signs pointing the direction for the National Cycle Network which I've been following all along the south coast of Britain. The little blue signs point the way for a course that takes me off heavily-used motorways and onto country lanes, peaceful dirt tracks, or beach promanades. The signs are small and sometimes difficult to spot, but they're there and it's an effort I commend.


There aren't many street signs in Britain, however. I have to guess my way through most urban intersections. It's like the British fear a future invasion and don't want to help the enemy find his way around!


I'm still heading west along the south coast of Britain -- at this point I'm in Devon.


2 comments:

  1. You are a dangerous bunch, after all. Cut them some slack...

    Alcohol and musical instruments are so fantastic - and even more so when put together! They are totally missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The funniest sign I ever saw was in London, Eng. It was an official state-made sign near an old church. It said "No drinking in excess near this building". I was disappointed that there weren't slobbering drunks just around the bend.

    ReplyDelete