Sunday, July 5, 2009

For the Swimmers..




You can't ride all the time. Sometimes even cycling is too fast and I don't get to fully enjoy the towns I pass through. Rest days get taken up with shopping, laundry and Internet, so every now and then I check into a hostel and chill for a few nights.


Since I like to swim, I hung out on a recent stop in Plymouth at the Tinside Lido. The lido is a giant circular pool that was built on the seafront in the 1930s and is fed with seawater. A maze of steps lead down the cliff to the pool as well as to other little tide-fed pools, sunbathing decks, diving boards, and rocky beaches.


The whole place was refurbished in 2001 but still has a delightfully run-down quality about it. The concrete steps are worn from wave damage and the way its built makes it so you can't quite see where each set of steps lead. I went down the stairs thinking I was the only one there, but found people reading books or even enjoying a coffee at cafes tucked in behind the rocks.


Plymouth suffered heavy bombing during the Second World War, and a plaque says that on one evening 3,000 people bought tickets to swim in the lido pool after hot day of cleaning up rubble.

2 comments:

  1. Now it all makes sense. You forgot to pack any clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he's just hoping the ratings will get higher as the amount of skin increases. Perhaps we should work on the algorithm for that relationship...

    ReplyDelete