Monday, June 8, 2009

London


The week began with sadness from Newfoundland. Longtime friend Brianna McCarthy suffered a sudden stroke and died. She'd celebrated her 34th birthday only a few days before, and stopped by my house to share some ice-cream cake with my mother and me. The fact she's gone seems hard to believe when I'm so far away.

I've spent a number of days in London applying for visas needed for the Middle Eastern portion of my trip, but I've used the time in between to visit museums, take tours and see other sights. Since I'm cheap, I usually pick attractions that cost the least. This means I've ruled out seeing a stage production of Oliver! starring Rowan Atkinson. (Not kidding -- it really exists. Look it up if you doubt me.)

Maybe you can identify the piece of sinister machinery I'm posed with in the picture. If you can, you may have guessed that I took a studio tour of BBC Television. I saw where Doctor Who, Blackadder, The Two Ronnies and Fawlty Towers were all filmed. The studios are filled with sets for new, as-yet-unknown shows, but it was a thrill all the same.

One final note -- on Carnaby Street, there's a Wrangler jeans outlet. Hear that, Medicine Hat? You're high fashion!

1 comment:

  1. I"m sorry to hear about your friend, Robert. A slightly similar thing happened to me when I was in India. 6 months before I left Edmonton I had made a quick and easy friendship with a woman named Nancy and while I was away she died of a brain aneurysm. I kept pretending I could capture beautiful images of India in my mind and send them to her. It made me soak everything in a bit deeper.
    Could you please post your trip plans so I can stop making them up to tell people. My stories have you going all over. You'll have a lot to explain when you get home.

    ReplyDelete