Thursday, December 3, 2009

How Now?


I've been volunteering at an eco-friendly farm on Tasmania this week. I joined WWOOF (Willing Workers on Organic Farms) which allows me to stay as a guest at farms throughout Australia in return for a few hours of labour every day. So far, the jobs have involved mowing, weeding, moving an electric fence and collecting manure from the ladies you see in the picture.

The owners of the farm are named Carolyn and Richard. They both serve on various local land stewardship associations as well as with the Green Party. Richard is an avid birder, and he and Carolyn only just returned from Western Australia where they spent several months doing population research. And if that weren't interesting enough, in 1969 they became the first people to traverse Mount Victoria in Papua New Guinea. Alone. No one else has done it since.

Anyway, they're feeding me well here and I'm hoping farm work will offset some of the negative environmental effects that my airplane travel is causing.

An environmentally-conscious friend of mine once despaired that his efforts to help the planet weren't making a difference. I told him that in the few years since I'd become more eco-friendly, I'd convinced someone to ride a bike instead of driving a car, I'd gotten someone else to begin recycling, and I'd gently persuded someone to buy fair-trade coffee.

"And can you believe that the person who converted me," I said, pointing directly at my depressed friend, "doesn't think he's had any impact?"

Maybe we can't change the world, but we can change our little corner of it.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, my g/f and I have had chats about this - we both have spent time in the environmental field. I would despair about where the planet's heading and our ability to head it off and get very gloomy, asking what we could possibly do to change it.

    Then she said words to the effect of, education: changing people's awareness and habits one small, small step at a time.

    I think there's truth in that: look too much at the big picture and you'll despair. Try small changes, baby steps. That's better and it's probably the only way anything'll get done.

    Where are you off to next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert, I think I know whom you are speaking of. Yes we can all do our part and I think it is great to stay and help with the farming at all. We try to do our part but in my job I still like the pampers and such, although I used cloth with both my kids. Am glad that you are safe with your brother. It sounds like such a great holiday and adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, glad you got out of Iran - check it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8411621.stm

    ReplyDelete