Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Things I've learned..


This is how Melbourne recognizes Australia's most famous band. ACDC Lane is near Swanston St. where the rock legends performed on the back of a truck in the video for "Long Way to the Top." There's probably a street named after Olivia Newton John somehwere in the country, too. Australia honours those who bring it fame, I've learned.

Other knowledge I've picked up here is a little more practical, like how to identify poisonous spiders. Whitetails, which seem to be common in my brother's house, don't kill but their bite leaves scar tissue. There are even spiders here that feed on birds. Fortunately, they live in holes in the backyard and don't come inside.

I've also learned Australia is expensive. The Australian dollar is worth roughly the same as the Canadian loonie but restaurant meals cost about double what they do at home. Doughnuts here start at $2.50. The last time I visited Tim Hortons, you could get an apple fritter and a small coffee for less than that.

What other things have I learned in Australia? I've discovered that Rotary Club members sing when they say grace before their dinner meetings (or at least the ones at my brother's club do, which was pretty neat). I've also learned -- and I'm still working on this one -- that the Australian $2 coin is smaller than the $1 one.

But the best thing I've learned about Australia is that everything, aside from sports, seems casual. Aussies have mastered getting work done efficiently while still looking relaxed. The casual attitude has the additional benefit that shorts and sleeveless shirts are accepable almost everywhere here, although I admit this might have something to do with the oven-like heat.

And last but not least I've learned in Australia that -- as ACDC put it -- it's a long way to the top if you wanna rock 'n roll.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Robert. Glad that you are having a good time. Spend the money anyway. You can't take it with you! Sounds exciting in aussie land. Joe and I might take a atrip to Australia and New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete