Monday, August 10, 2009

Back on Track..

It's been a month of ups and downs, but finally Mom is out of hospital and I'm about to hit the road again. On Wednesday, August 12, I fly to London where I've been informed the Iranian embassy has a visa waiting for me. Thanks to everyone for your kind wishes during this trying ordeal.


Being here in Newfoundland resulted in a strange coincidence last week. I answered the door and found the chairman of the board of adventure travel, Bernie Howgate, standing on the steps. To explain, Bernie writes books about his adventures kayaking around Newfoundland or pedalling accross Canada on a rickshaw, and then sells the books door-to-door. The last time I saw him was almost 15 years ago when he and a CBC crew showed up at my house and I agreed to let them shoot video of Bernie making his sales pitch to me. Back then I told him I'd always dreamed of taking a bicycle trip. This time I was able to tell him about all the trips I've taken.


So, will Rob's bike survive the vicious baggage handlers at Pearson? Will British customs officials at Heathrow force him to eat Marmite? How much clothing will Rob be wearing in the next picture on this blog? Keep checking to find out.


And on the topic of pictures, how do you like this sketch Jesse Cunningham drew of me during my going away party in April? I may be biased but I think I make a pretty good cartoon!

2 comments:

  1. Bon voyage! Again!
    Happy that your mother is better and that you can continue your trip.
    Sorry we didn't see you before you left.
    Sara and her family have arrived and we are enjoying visiting with them. I hope you enjoy your travels and get a chance to experience the middle east cuisine.
    Best wishes,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a book from Bernie at my door last summer - in fact I bought two! The book is about his kayaking around the rock. I bought one to give to my mother for her birthday. She was so doubled over with laughter when she opened it that I thought she'd gone loopy. She confessed to me later, quietly in the kitchen, that she had bought one at her door and was saving it to give to Dad for fathter's day. I can't believe I never told you that!

    You could certainly write a book, if you wanted to commit that time and effort. Your writing, in what ever form, is always surprising, clear, flowing, and delightful.

    I'm off to San Fran and Portland. Have a great trip and I'll read up on you in Sept.

    By all means send me more pictures!

    Molly

    ReplyDelete