Monday, February 8, 2010

Home In Edmonton..


Everyone keeps telling me how mild the weather is here. They say it went down to -40 back in December, so the current -7 to - 13 feels warm to them. I just can't believe how cold it is!

I had to borrow a winter coat when I first arrived and the bike I'm riding in the picture is a loaner, too. But I've bought new panniers and retrieved one of my old Nishiki road bikes from a friend's garage and should have it running soon with a studded front tire for winter.

The Nishiki came from the Dumpster behind a popular Edmonton bicycle shop and it's been my summer ride for almost five years. Unlike Darling, which was the bike I lost in an accident in Iran in September (see earlier "Crash" post) this bike has never had a name. I've always just called it "The Summer Hooptie." I think now is the time to shorten that to "Summer." I know this doesn't make a lot of sense considering I'll be using it in winter, but I think I'll keep on the lookout for new winter bike in the coming months.

Darling, by the way, may not actually be dead. Her frame wasn't seriously twisted and the Iranian dentist who hit me with his car thought he might be able to repair her for his young son. In order to claim the bike from the police, though, the officers at the impound lot demanded proof of ownership. Fortunately I had my digital camera with pictures of Darling in England and Canada, and that seemed to satisfy them.

I wish I could have saved Darling myself but I really wasn't in a position to at the time. Who knows? Maybe she'll have another life in Iran.

3 comments:

  1. Rob, Glad you are safely home. I've enjoyed following your travels.
    What now?
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to find a job. But first, I'm taking a trip to Prince Albert, Saskatchewan to visit good friends. I'm told the cross-country skiing is pretty good there now. There may even be one more post on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The city's a buzz with happiness that you're back.
    If you're cold and there are no long johns under those jeans, prepare yourself for a rigorous mocking.
    M

    ReplyDelete