Sunday, May 24, 2009

One week to go..


This is a picture of Darling taken back in February while she was locked outside my apartment building in Edmonton. Darling was bought for $60 in Calgary in 1997 and is the bike I used for my first tour from Calgary to Los Angeles in 1998. Since then she's been my winter commuter, pickup truck, and even been ridden in a cyclocross race.

With so much history, I could hardly leave her home for what will be my most ambitious bicycle trip to date. Over the last two months her rust has been sanded and painted, she has new wheels and racks, and for the first time in her life she has fenders. Just wait until you see her!

There's only a week to go until I leave St. John's and fly to London.

3 comments:

  1. I sure hope someone else 'follows' your blog. Otherwise, I feel like a stalker...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only New Zealanders with only one fan (Mel) are the Flight of the Conchords. "THE" Robert Drinkwater has at least 2. Lets see this thing go absolutely viral people!

    Hell, I have to follow it--if he lives through it I'll have rinse out the sheets on the spare bed--lol. (to the tune of Speed Racer) Go Rob Racer due due due due due due etc. ! I'm glad you liked my name suggestion. If it was good enough for freakin' Obi Wan Kenobi, its good enough for "THE" Robert Drinkwater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make that 3 Harry!

    I'm doing my best to spread the word to all adoring fans. Unlike the Flight of the Conchords, 'THE' Rob Drinkwater does not have to count chairs with shopping bags on them.

    As much as I am looking forward to the updates, I am a little sad about losing my running buddy just as I was learning some really useful stuff like how to blow my nose without a tissue...sniff!

    ReplyDelete